Space Heater Safety and Fire Prevention Tips
Cold temperatures inevitably make us want to cozy up under a blanket and crank up the heat, but before you bring the space heater up from the basement to get extra toasty, consider these safety and fire prevention tips. According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment is the leading cause of all house fires.
Space Heater Safety First!
SERVPRO of Bartlett/Cordova has compiled some space heater safety and fire prevention tips to help you stay warm, but most of all, to keep you and your home or office safe from fire damage.
- Keep 3 feet of distance between your space heater and anything that can burn, including people!
- Never plug your space heater into a power strip; always plug it directly into the wall.
- Turn off and unplug the heater whenever you leave the room, especially when leaving for the day or going to bed.
- Always place your heater on a flat surface, away from foot traffic.
- Educate your family and coworkers about the dangers of space heaters.
- Keep the heater away from wet areas. This includes bathrooms, basements, and even wet hands and materials.
Buy the Right Heater
- Check to see if your heater has a seal marking that it’s been tested by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory.
- Purchase a space heater that is suitable for the size of the room you would like to heat. Use small heaters for small spaces, and large heaters only for big, open spaces. Using a small heater in a large space will cause the heater to overwork and reduce its lifespan.
- Know your heater’s wattage. Higher wattage = higher energy output. Low wattage = less energy.
- Choose a heater with an automatic shut-off that engages if the heater is knocked over or overheats.
- Know about the different types of space heaters: oil or water-filled radiator heaters, fan-forced heaters, ceramic heaters, and infrared heaters.
Using these space heater safety and fire prevention tips will help prevent fire damage in the home and workplace. If you have any questions about fire prevention or if your property experiences smoke or fire damage to your home, call your local professionals at SERVPRO of Bartlett/Cordova for assistance. We’re available 24/7 at (901) 382-0900.